Black Gold


 
I cannot help myself. I have to keep expounding on the magic that is Dominica, so here I go again. Today, I am talking about its geology.

Dominica, though approximately the size of Martha’s Vineyard,  has  nine main volcanic areas, the highest concentration of “live” volcanoes in the world. It also has 26 mountain tops, one of which climbs to over 5000 feet, and each of which is covered with dense rainforest. The Dominicans are highly protective of their ecostructure and have successfully fought against any large scale development intrusion. There are no Hyatts, Marriots, Omnis or any other big box hotels, and any building at all is highly regulated.

Because it is so highly volcanic, it is the youngest island in the Lesser Antilles. One of the great tourist things to do is to visit one of the thermal spas, small operations cut into the forests by individuals who have owned that spot for generations, and bath in their beautiful hot springs.  The island itself is  still being formed by geothermal  activity, and has earth’s second-largest hot spring, Boiling Lake.  


Most fascinating to me is the sand.

It is black volcanic pulverized pumice, as fine as baby powder and specked with flecks of gold. I exfoliated with it, washing it off in the beautiful turquoise waters abutting the beach, and my skin felt as if had regenerated. We could not help but to scoop up a bagful, one of the few ‘souvenirs’ we have ever removed from our island hosts. I will be returning it to the states, and those of you who are worthy shall share in a sample of this remarkable natural beauty product. Add a couple drops of  Dominican coconut oil, and I challenge you to find  better skin care in even the finest resort spas.


Julianne   March 18th, 2017