Dondelino


 

Rossella and her son Andrea from Milan invested their life savings in a little corner of English Harbor to create a Spanish/Italian restaurant they named Incanto (“enchantment”). He is a young and beautiful man about 30, speaking perfect English. She speaks very little English but is adorably outgoing and  not afraid to practice on you. The food is delicious and imaginative. They furnished the restaurant with chairs from Italy that have back springs, and with a little prodding you can get the chair back  to give you a gentle rock. You discover this after your second glass of wine and it is luxuriating. Rossella saw me appreciating the chair, davening like a Chasidic jew, and announced…”you like? In my country, when you do this, we say you are ‘dondelino’”  I did not understand the term, but there seemed to me  no American word that could better describe my state of mind at that moment….boat firmly at anchor, belly full of ragu spaetzle ( an amazing pasta that will soon be the craze at home), my head woozy with Malbec, and me gently rocking my Incanto chair  above the waters of beautiful English Harbor. I was indeed, at that moment, dondelino.

December 23rd, 2016